Wednesday, January 16, 2013

smoothie smackdown

A couple of weeks ago my crazy friend decided to redo her kitchen, starting on Christmas day. I went over and helped her one day and we started talking about green smoothies. I am pretty healthy but I just couldn't get on board with that. Blending fruit and veggies together and then drinking it? No thank you. A couple of days later I was FaceTiming with my sister and she was drinking something, a green smoothie. She also assured me that they are delicious. After two trusted friends told me to try them I did. And I am hooked. I drink them every morning for breakfast. Caleb even drinks them! For a boy who won't eat vegetables this makes me super duper happy. 

My sister gave me this recipe:
2 T Bob Mills flaxseed (not the powder)
1 carrot-not peeled 
1 apple (cored and sliced to whatever your blender can handle)
1/2 c blueberries
1 c. cranberry juice
handful of spinach and kale
1 c. ice

Place the flaxseed, carrot, apple, blueberries and cranberry juice in blender and mix until smooth. Add the spinach and kale-blend. Last add ice and blend until smooth.


I admit I haven't tried this recipe yet. I love my smoothie recipe so much because it is quick, easy and has a lot random yet important ingredients (like cinnamon and honey both of which doctors say to eat every day. The big thing is the greek yogurt. I love my extra protein because I also have a boy who won't eat meat).  This one is so easy to make because nothing has to be chopped beforehand. 

1/4-1/3 c. plain greek yogurt
1 banana
1 t. honey
two dashes cinnamon
a handful of baby carrots
two handfuls of spinach
a little milk
two cupfuls (like drinking cups it would probably equate to just over an actual cup) frozen fruit (I use the mix from Sam's Club)

Blend the yogurt, honey, cinnamon, carrots, spinach and milk until smooth (sometimes I don't add the milk it depends how think I want it. Caleb only drinks smoothies through a straw so if he wants one it needs to be thinner). Add fruit and mix until smooth.

I really need to get some flaxseed and add it to this recipe for that added boast of awesomeness.

Try one or both of these outs. One day Stephanie and I will have to have a smoothie smackdown for real!

No comments:

Post a Comment