Monday, November 11, 2013

Low-fat, low-sugar, whole wheat oat pumpkin bread

I love pumpkin bread, I love pumpkin anything honestly. I don't love a cup of sugar and two sticks of butter in a single loaf of bread. So after years of trying lots of different recipes I found the perfect pumpkin bread recipe! I makes a great snack is really rather healthy. 

I love the idea of eating fat free pumpkin bread, and this recipe could very easily be fat free. However, there is no getting around food with fat tastes better. I have started taking the time to calculate how much fat would be in each slice of bread based on how much fat I add to the bread. This recipe ended up with under 3 grams of fat a slice by having a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil. Coconut oil is one of the best sources for fat, and it adds a little nice texture to this bread. Bread with only applesauce always tastes just a little off to me. But if you really want low low low fat get rid of the coconut oil and use only applesauce and don't add nuts or chocolate chips.

I also always make two loafs when I make bread. It freezes so well and takes no extra work to double it. So this recipe makes two wonderful and delicious loafs.


Adapted from here
  • 2 cups oats (Process in blender or food processor to flour consistency
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 large banana (mashed) **about 1 1/2 cup
  • 3 T. melted coconut oil then add applesauce to make 1 cup
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup agave nectar
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2-1 cup chocolate chips or walnuts
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Add to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips

Place batter in loaf pan sprayed with coconut oil/ olive oil spray. **Can top loaf with a sprinkle of oats before baking to make it pretty!!**

Bake for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Enjoy! Even John my pumpkin bread hating hubby loves this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment