Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Vegetable Enchiladas

My oldest Air Force friend came to visit this week so I have been trying to think of easy meals that will feed her army and mine :) One thing I know about Kara after our seven year friendship-she does not like spice. Since she asked me to post the recipe I am making this "Kara proof." I usually double the spice, but John and I like it spicy!

I love these enchiladas, they are one of the first meals I ever learned to make. My cousin posted an almost identical sauce recipe so I am thinking this must be an old family recipe. Either way I replaced the chicken that I grew up with for veggies!

The key to making really good enchiladas is the tortillas. You gotta use the "Cafe Rio" style you cook at home ones from Costco, or homemade. Anything else and these are just ho-hum.

Vegetable Enchiladas

Filling:

1 zucchini
1 green pepper
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 c. frozen corn-defrosted
1 c. spinach
1 c. black beans
coconut oil
lime juice

Grated cheddar and pepper jack cheese

Sauce:

2 T. butter or olive oil (I go back and forth on this one, obviously olive oil is healthier but butter is well butter)
2 T. flour
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. chili powder
1/4 t. cumin
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
8 oz. water


Dice veggies. Heat coconut oil (or olive oil, but I think you should jump on the coconut oil bandwagon :) over medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Cook for 2 minutes then add zucchini. Cook another 2 minutes then add pepper. Once veggies are soft at corn, black beans and spinach. Stir until spinach welts. Remove from heat and splash with a little lime juice.

While veggies are cooking melt butter or heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add flour and spices and stir until thickened. Add tomato sauce and water. Cook, stirring occasionally until boiling and thickened.

Grease a 9X13 pan

Fill tortillas with veggie mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll and repeat. Cover with sauce and cheese. Bake at 375 for 25-30 or until bubbly.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment