Thursday, June 20, 2013

No bake quinoa and grains granola bars

I LOVE KIND Granola. It makes for the perfect on-the-go healthy snack (which has been me for the last little while). It has lots of different grains and no icky additives. The problem is it is expensive, and still processed to some extent. So I set out to make my own granola. I couldn't find a recipe that I just loved, plus almost everything requires baking or toasting. I am trying to only turn on my oven twice a week so baking is out of the question for me during this hot Texas summer. So I created this recipe. They are amazing. Extremely picky Caleb even eats them (really devours somedays he will eat five or six). They are also very easy. They only take about ten minutes to throw together, so I make them every couple of days and we have a great snack to turn to.

I would like to add that I really would like to add buckwheat and millet to this recipe, two things not found in the middle of no where Texas. If you are not in the middle of nowhere and have access to a health food store, pick some up and throw some in!

Granola bars

2 c oats
1/2 c craisins (I use all natural no sugar-they are amazing!) and dark chocolate chips
1/4 chai and flaxseed
1/3 c. pumpkin seed and sunflower seed.
1 c. quinoa (cook and cooled) and cereal (I use Kashi 7 grains)

1 t cinnamon
1/2 c coconut

4 T honey
2 T agave nectar
1 T maple syrup
1/2-3/4 c peanut butter
1/2 t vanilla

Stir together all dry ingredients. In a saucepan over low heat combine wet ingredients. Stir until combined, just melted and smooth. Pour over grains and mix (hands work best, wooden spoon is ok). Press into a 9X13 pan. Refrigerate for 2 hours until hard. Cut and enjoy.

All mix in are totally optional. Try different dried fruits, or nuts. You can get rid of the chocolate chips or add more. Every time I make them I do something different.



No comments:

Post a Comment