Thursday, June 20, 2013

Summertime Italian Pasta Salad

Yesterday while making my menu I had an insane craving for an old family favorite Italian marinated pasta. If you have ever been to a wedding or baby shower for anyone in my family you have probably had it. I pulled out the old ward cookbook and started writing ingredients I needed at the store. They I realized how awful the ingredients are in this salad. The dressing calls for 3/4 c. sugar-more sugar than oil or vinegar plus 2 T of salt. The other thing I didn't like was you added water to the dressing, I'm sorry but that is an insult to my fine olive oil to combine it with water.  So I changed it up a little, made it healthy, but still yummy and sweet.


Salad

7 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
1 cucumber diced
1 tomato diced
1 roasted red pepper, diced
1/4 c. sweet red onion (this might be a Texas thing, I have never seen sweet red onions expect at our farmers market-just the more reason to come and visit :)
1/2 jar artichoke hearts, diced
1/4 c. kalamata olives, diced
feta cheese


Dressing
1/3 c. olive oil
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar 
1 T. sugar (I had to keep a little of the sweet)
1 t. salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t thyme
1/2 t basil

Cook pasta al dente. While pasta is cooking combine all dressing ingredients into a screw top jar-shake it. Combine pasta with veggies. Sprinkle with cheese. Slowly add and stir dressing. Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 6 hours, or overnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment